This course is expiring, etc. etc. etc.
CE Credit Hours: 2.00 Continuing Education Credit Hours
CEU Course Description
This course focuses on how nursing home administrators and other nursing home staff can better identify, report, monitor, and prevent medical errors in patients with limited English proficiency (LEP). In addition, a training module that teaches a set of team behaviors and structured communication tools designed to reduce medical errors for LEP patients is included. The goal of this course is to help nursing home administrators better understand how to address the issue of patient safety for LEP and culturally diverse patients. Further, this course can help administrators: foster a supportive culture for safety of diverse patient populations; adapt current systems to better identify medical errors among LEP patients; improve reporting of medical errors for LEP patients; routinely monitor patient safety for LEP patients; and address root causes to prevent medical errors among LEP patients.
CEU Course Objectives
1. Discuss liability exposures when providing care to LEP populations.
2. Enumerate the challenges to the nursing home when interpreters serve as cultural brokers.
3. Explain an immediate strategy that can be implemented to prevent medical errors among LEP patients.
4. Scrutinize what has been identified as causes of errors, or potential errors, for LEP and culturally diverse patients.
5. Define the most important key condition for the predicted effectiveness of patient safety reporting systems.
6. Elucidate dangers associated with using non-qualified interpreters, including family members, friends, or untrained staff and how this puts the patients and the health care facility at risk.
7. Identify the words of an agreed-upon communication tool that any team member can use to stop an action at any time when there is any concern for miscommunication or risk to patient safety.
8. Describe how LEP patients may have cultural beliefs and traditions that can influence the medical encounter and subsequent health outcomes in subtle and often invisible ways.
Did you know you can now get UNLIMITED Continuing Education Credit Hours for only $199/year?
Click Here to learn more.
We will disclose, in advance, any proprietary interest in any product, instrument, device, service, or material to be discussed during the learning event, as well as the source of any third-party compensation related to the presentation. This policy applies to both our organization and contractors. If such proprietary/financial interests exist, we will publish a disclaimer in marketing or instructional materials for a course.
In order to view this course, you will need to be able to view a PDF document for the course material. If your device doesn't have the capability to view a PDF, you can click here to download Adobe Acrobat for free.
The board approval status information is provided based on our current understanding of the licensing agencies. Please note that it is the responsibility of each licensee to verify acceptance of our courses with their licensing agency.